Although South Florida rarely has a very cold winter, it is still important to know how to maximize your A/C during the cooler months (and why not know about it before the time comes)! To save money and keep your home warm, follow these easy tips!
- Do not let your heat escape! Make sure all your doors and windows are shut tightly.
- Check for leaks, and replace old weather stripping or caulk.
- Use your window shades and drapes to maximize heating benefits. Keep
shades closed at night to conserve heat. During the day, open shades to
let the sunlight in.
- Add humidity. Humid air feels warmer than dry air. Increasing the
humidity of your home also helps you resist winter colds and moisturizes
dry skin. Using a humidifier can help with this.
- Keep your furnace air filter clean. A dirty or clogged filter can make your furnace work harder, which costs you more.
- Much of the heat escaping homes is lost through the attic. Be sure to close off any attic vents or fans during the winter and check on how well the attic is insulated.